Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Conscious choices

After my shock and dismay at the scale reading yesterday, I exerted myself to do a few healthy things to get myself moving back in a better direction.

The first was, I made oatmeal instead of having my usual breakfast cereal. I love cereal, I have to admit that. Like Jerry Seinfeld, I could eat it more than once a day (and sometimes, I do). But I've been reading more and more about how these cereals are filled with excess sugar and preservatives that interfere with weight loss (yes, even my Special K with Red Fruit). I do like oatmeal and I found a recipe in the Biggest Loser book where you substitute a tablespoon of fruit compote (not jam, which has more sugar) for sugar. So I tried it and it was wonderful! I didn't even need to add milk.

The next healthy thing I did was to take a long walk to the Parc Monceau. I made some stops along the way -- post office, book store -- but the weather was unseasonably sunny and warmer for this early in March, and like a lot of Parisians I wanted to profit from the sunshine, so off to the park I went. Monceau is a really lovely park, not too big, but big enough. And they even let you sit on the grass, which makes it a great picnic spot in summertime. There are a lot of joggers, a corner where kids can roller blade and bike and use their scooters, and a playground. With the pretty landscaping and many benches, it makes it an ideal spot.

I will admit that, once there and after making a loop around the park, I did park myself on a bench while reading one of the travel books (Normandie) I'd just purchased. My joints and back were begging for a rest after that long walk (45 min). And I took the bus most of the way back to my own neighborhood. But once I got there, I didn't go straight home; I did the food shopping. So, more time on my feet and less time sitting on my ass on the couch in the apartment. When I finally got home, I had been out and about and walking for the better part of two and a half hours (I think I sat in the park about 20 minutes of that).

I did eat some chocolate last night while my husband was having some, but I ate a lot less of it than I normally might have. It is frightening how often I go on automatic pilot where my trigger foods are concerned. Here I had just finished telling my husband that I had a shock on the scale and that I had taken that nice long walk, and in the next breath I was reach for chocolate!

Note to self: work on being MINDFUL of my choices instead of simply doing things unconsciously.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,
    I started on my diet around the time you did last year. It was what I call a false start and I quit. Then soon after, in July, I started up again. I went slowly pretty much forcing myself to be good, but the true feeling of commitment came on gradually; that feeling that comes from deep inside that you can't force and which you need if you are going to stick to it long-term. For me personally, it becomes easier as I see the scales go down: I get encouragement from fitting into those smaller clothes.
    I have lost 29 lbs. since last July. Very slowly but surely.
    I have checked in here like every day (I read your other blog) hoping you would come back. I needed encouragement; it was going so slow. I know it's hard, Lisa. I am down from my all time high of 283 to now 184. When I started back last year I had gained about half of my lost weight (123 lbs. altogether) back on.
    It certainly wouldn't work for me to eat candy on my first day back trying to diet. I need to be "all in" or nothing much will happen in the weight loss department and I will give up.
    I hope you get your own path figured out. Being successful feels good, but it's like alcoholism. You can never let your guard down.
    I am behind you all the way.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, but be polite and keep it clean. Remember, you're in MY house now so wipe your feet before you enter.