Thursday, March 21, 2013

I forgot

Yesterday, a rare thing occurred.

I forgot to snack and binge.

Do you get that? I FORGOT. Meaning, for the first time in many, many weeks, the idea of snacking or gorging myself on junk I don't need NEVER OCCURRED TO ME. Not once.

I realized this as I was in bed, getting ready to do my daily meditation. Which I am still not doing at the same time every day (mornings really would be best, but I have to say it's really relaxing doing it at night, so perhaps ideally I'll do it twice daily). But which I have consistently done EVERY DAY for the past 11 days (today is Day 11 and I am about to do the meditation as soon as I finish typing).

And what I can't help wondering is: Is the meditation already having that kind of positive effect on my health? After all, the program IS entitled "Perfect Health". But it's only with TODAY'S meditation -- which I have not yet done -- that the program seems to be getting around to dealing with overeating. Because of course Perfect Health is going to mean different things to different people and this is not, per se, a weight loss meditation program.

Yesterday, I ate the following:
  • Breakfast: juice, coffee with non-fat milk and 1 1/2 sugar cubes, Special K cereal with red berries and a few cranberries. This is a normal breakfast for me. One thing I did differently was use a smaller cereal bowl than I am accustomed to choosing.
  • Lunch: I was out running errands when I realized it was lunch time and I was getting hungry. I had just bought some rotisserie chicken legs and potatoes (deep fried) for dinner, something my husband had requested. The smell of the chicken wafting up from my shopping bag was encouraging my hunger, so I stopped into a bakery and bought a sandwich made from a fresh baguette with Camembert and lettuce (and I think I tasted some unsalted butter), and for dessert I got a red berry crumble. And a bottle of water (a lot of French bakeries sell lunchtime menus that include a sandwich, pastry and beverage, and you save a euro or two). It was delicious; my favorite sandwich in France is a soft cheese, like Brie or Camembert on a baguette. Maybe that has something to do with my first-ever trip to Paris where I ate this type of sandwich ever day while strolling around, sightseeing. And yet I don't actually eat cheese very often, even though living here I am surrounded by it, so this felt like a treat!
  • Dinner: 2 of the chicken legs (rather large and very delicious, being free-range and all that), a small portion of the potatoes with a bit of ketchup (I buy a reduced sugar ketchup). For dessert, I had a small ice cream bar on a stick, child-sized.
  • Snack: I think I ate a banana at some point during the day, and that was my ONLY "snack". 
  • I also drank several glasses of store-bought iced tea that was sweetened. I normally make my own decaf Crystal Light iced tea but every so often I need to replace the plastic bottle, and I like these 2-liter bottles from the store. It means I have to drink the sweetened, caffeinated tea for a day or so, but then I go for weeks making my own tea and reusing the plastic bottle. 
Was this a "perfect" choice of foods during the day? Perhaps not: bread, sugar, cheese, butter, fried potatoes, chicken legs instead of the skinless white meat, and so on. But you know what? I enjoyed everything I ate and didn't feel guilty about it. I didn't even think about it much other than "wow, this tastes quite good, isn't that nice" before going on with my day.

I also, in retrospect, didn't feel hungry all day. Nor did I feel edgy, the kind of edgy that makes me run for the chocolate or cookies. It's like, I ate my 3 meals and my banana-snack, and it was enough. I didn't go to bed hungry, either. I was satisfied. And had I WANTED to binge, it would have been simple: I've got chocolate in my bedside table. Cookies in the kitchen cupboard. And I know where my step-son's stash of candy is kept, in case I feel desperate.

But binging simply wasn't on my radar yesterday, and THAT is the miracle du jour. I had a totally, normal, Inside Skinny day.

THAT is how I would like to be living EVERY SINGLE DAY. Just enjoying whatever I AM eating, without overeating and without eating too much of something. And best of all, not really thinking much about the food when I was NOT actually sitting down to a meal. The French adore food; they love eating it, preparing it, and talking about it together. But when they're not at the table or actively preparing a meal, a typical French person is not obsessing about food. Food has it's proper time and place, and it is meant to be thoroughly enjoyed, but there is also more to life than the food -- THAT is how the French do it. And I think this is a very healthy philosophy. The food-addicted me thinks about food ALL THE DAMN TIME, and mostly what I think about is how I shouldn't be eating THIS or THAT and how fat it's making me when I DO eat those things. It's a huge time-sucker, this obsession with food.

So it was wonderful to go through a whole day NOT being obsessed. Just living my life like a normal person. Just... LIVING.

I want more of THAT. And if this meditation is what is helping me to get to that place, then I'm going to meditate my ass off.

Literally.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Lisa,
    I understand that you are concentrating on meditation right now and not really what you are eating, but I just can't let this go by unnoticed.
    Your diet yesterday was a total sugarfest starting with everything (juice, sugar, cereal, cranberries) you had for breakfast. I'm surprised you felt as well as you did during the day. That cereal is very high in sugar and has very little fiber. TWO desserts in one day, sugared tea...If you actually measured all that out in spoonfuls sitting out on the counter in front of you, I'll bet you would be very surprised. The banana is high sugar also but since it's a fruit it should be fine but in a day of sugar it does add to the total. We won't even discuss having white potatoes and a baguette in the same day with all that. I saw no veggies at all in the whole day. Maybe there were some limp tomatoes on that cheese sandwich?
    I'm concerned about you, even though I don't know you. You certainly don't want to end up with diabetes. I hope you don't take this critique in the wrong way. I like you so much and at this age bad things can happen to our health. You want to be around as long as possible for Georges and everyone who loves you. Please consider aiming for healthier foods and less of certain things, and being more kind to your insides. You are such a great girl!
    Maybe it's harder to find healthy foods in Paris when you are not eating at home or when you have takeout. But it shouldn't be impossible.
    Love,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sheila... I know you mean well, I truly do. I believe you are trying to be helpful and encouraging in your own way. But I do feel also that you've totally missed the point, both of my blog, which is of course about MY personal journey with this issue, including the struggles, and of this particular post which was really something I was celebrating. The point was NOT what I was eating, it's what I was NOT eating. This was a breakthrough for me, seriously.

      I appreciate your concern, I do. And I also need say that, while I do appreciate and value feedback, I am beginning to feel "lectured to". I am inspired by how much weight you've lost on your journey and that is an amazing thing. But you are you, and I am I, and our journeys are not the same. I want you to continue to share and comment, but perhaps you are taking what I'm doing too much to heart? Sharing and a little advice is a good thing. But I've got a mom back in New Jersey who already feels it's HER job to lecture me and she'd probably resent anyone else cutting in on her turf. (hee hee)

      PS There was lettuce on the baguette sandwich. ;) And now that I think of it, I ate some lovely small grape tomatoes with dinner. And I get my blood sugar tested by my doctor at least once a year, and it's perfectly normal despite my obvious attraction to all things sweet. I DO get your point about sugar and diabetes, but don't despair.

      Delete
  2. Lisa,
    Thanks for not being TOO hard on me and funny, too. I'm sorry. I just feel like I know so much about this topic and I would like to share it. Maybe I'LL write a book.
    I'm a late learner about lots of stuff and I'm just really learning that people don't want advice.
    I'm kind of an idiot sometimes.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not an idiot! Just someone who is excited about finding what works for you. I think the challenge is to find the balance between sharing your enthusiasm for getting healthier, and not letting that enthusiasm turn into evangelism. The former can be infectious but the latter simply puts people off. Better to inspire 'em than to try to beat it into 'em, right?

      Here's something I learned on my first day of professional life coach training, and it was a surprise to me though although perhaps it shouldn't have been: people not only don't want unsolicited advice, they usually won't even follow advice even when they come and ASK you for it! LOL! As a coach, I had to learn that instead of telling my clients what I thought or "knew" they "should" do (which initially I thought coaching was about!), I had to hold back my inclination to advise, and instead learn to ask questions that would lead the clients to come up with their OWN solutions to their problems. People are more likely to follow their OWN "advice", I guess. It's not easy to hold back especially when you see someone "doing it wrong", but that's how it is. My favorite coaching acronym ever? "WAIT" which stands for "Why Am I Talking?" hee hee, it means I had to learn to shut up and let my clients have the space to get their own A-ha! moments.

      Anyway, I knew you meant it all well, and thank YOU for taking my hint so graciously. Never TOO late to learn something, and that's true of all of us.

      Keep up the wonderful job you are doing with your own health, you should feel so proud of yourself!

      Delete
  3. A spiritual problem + a spiritual solution = et voila!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, but be polite and keep it clean. Remember, you're in MY house now so wipe your feet before you enter.