Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 33: Although this feels LESS pretty

The BBC health news web site published a VERY scary depressing interesting little gadget that only calculates your BMI (body mass index, the indicator of obesity) based on your age, gender, weight and height -- but also shows you where your body fat percentage RANKS on a global scale and compared to those in your own country. It also tells you what other country you most closely match.

I (ahem) currently rank off the charts. Although I know there are many people fatter than me, right now *I* am fatter than someone from... TONGA, the fattest nation on earth. And even though the United States ranks as the 11th fattest country at 30.46 mean BMI (do you hear that, America?), my BMI is higher than 88% of American women in my age group (which is 45-59). I would have to lose 45 lbs. to match the mean BMI in the U.S. of A.


To add further insult to injury, they have a "Did you know" blurb on the site, which told me that if everyone on earth had my same BMI, it would add 174,070,898 tonnes to the world's population. Thanks so much for that, guys... I feel so much better now.

France, on the other hand, has a national average that is BELOW the global average with a mean BMI of 24.85, which is also the lowest BMI in all of Europe (Denmark is also below the global average). I would have to lose 77 lbs. to match the French BMI. Japan's mean BMI is 23.13, and after that you start getting to the list of countries where poverty and malnutrition are what most likely accounts for the decreasing BMI rates. Bangladesh has the lowest mean BMI at 19.01.

According to the World Health Organization, a BMI of 30+ is obese, 25-30 is overweight, 18.5-25 is ideal and anything under 18.5 is underweight.

Ready for a jolt of reality? Visit the site and check your own stats here. 

Yep. Wake-up call. Back on program and taking a walk today for sure. I'm sure people from Tonga are very nice but I don't want to look like one of them.

6 comments:

  1. Apparently I'm skinny in the US and completely overweight in France. Big surprise there. I look like someone from Algeria. I think I shouldn't have eaten that piece(s) of pizza at lunch. Thank you for sharing this link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that interesting? I don't know that I'll ever be skinny by French standards but right now I'd be over the moon to be skinny as an American (or even a Tongan). Certainly puts things in a new perspective, though, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. Just did survey.
    Now I'm even more depressed.
    Bummer.
    I only lost 2 pounds this week. Sounds okay, but I know that 2 pounds on me can come back with dinner.
    Why didn't I keep this fat off after I lost it the last time.
    Depressed, really depressed.
    And I probably need a root canal,also.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean: it's not pretty to face reality. But sometimes it's the best thing. I suppose we can choose to be depressed about our stats at the moment... or we can use this information to kick ourselves into action. I was watching an episode of Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition the other day, and the young woman who was featured really struggled with getting out of her comfort zone and changing her bad habits. So the trainer told her "You need to get comfortable with being UNcomfortable". And I keep hearing that in my head: I think my comfort zone is something I'm really attached to... even when that zone isn't doing me any good.

      And for what it's worth, I also need to see my dentist; something's not quite right with the crown she did on my last time (or else there is something else going on in the same vicinity). :) Soon as I get back from vacation in August, I'm booking a dental appointment. That's part of taking care of myself, too. (I already, did the eye doctor finally - picking up new glasses tomorrow! Next on the list for September: GYN and mammogram.) I would also LOVE to shock my internist at my next check-up in October or November and have lost some decent amount of weight, enough that my lab work will really show a difference. That would be cool. :)

      Delete
  3. i am trying to lose some (well i would love to lose 30 lbs but will settle for some) before our trip to france in the fall so i can do a lot of walking.....but its always hard when there are guests coming periodically & various celebrations....and i never give up wine, which is one reason i dont lose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel compelled to share with dear Anonymous that according to many health professionals and weight loss programs, 2 pounds is a totally normal amount to lose in a week. Nothing at all to be down about, you should be proud of yourself! I am sorry about the root canal though, that sucks.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, but be polite and keep it clean. Remember, you're in MY house now so wipe your feet before you enter.