Friday, July 20, 2012

Days 34-37: Coasting to the coast

This week has involved the resurfacing of bad habits, mainly my habit of not taking the time to prepare meals when there are no kids to feed. My husband, apparently, has the same habit when the kids aren't around; instead of either of us preparing a meal for ourselves, 9 times out of 10 we'll either eat out, or nibble on whatever is handy - that might be something healthy, like carrot sticks and other raw veggies in season, but it also might be potato chips (him) or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (me).

With the older kids living out of the house now, and the youngest away on his summer holidays with his mom (until this weekend when he comes back with us), our mealtime habits have been pathetic. Also this week, I've gotten less exercise from cleaning our rental apartment, because the guests who are staying there have stayed longer than the guests in the preceding six weeks.

However, help is on the way, and it's called Summer in the South of France. We're heading to my sister-in-law's house for three weeks, and while we eat and drink well when we're there, I tend to lose weight there. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, although it's usually a pretty relaxing environment (Beach! Sea! Sun! Sand!), I tend to get more exercise. We walk nearly everywhere. My SIL's house is a 15-minute walk from the beaches and restaurants. I swim a lot when we're there (the Mediterranean is usually pretty calm, so I can really swim instead of just jumping up and down in the waves the way I do in New Jersey). We go places and we do things instead of sitting home in front of the computer or TV.

Secondly, we're eating mostly a Mediterranean diet and a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables in season. We don't eat many fancy desserts; typical desserts are fruit or yogurt after lunch or dinner. Our food choices are just plain healthier, without us even thinking much about it.

Thirdly, because there are four of us, we prepare meals instead of lapsing into grazing mode. Both my SIL and my step-son actually need to gain some weight, so my husband and I make sure we all get good, well-rounded meals. Although there is bread (hey, this is FRANCE) and often cheese (I repeat: FRANCE) as well as wine (don't make me say it again), we shop and prepare meals, instead of grabbing whatever is handy.

Last but not least... I am busy all day long. When I'm home in Paris, I have busy periods and quiet periods, and sometimes during the quiet times (or when I'm trying to avoid working), I will snack to fill the void. When I'm on a vacation, I don't snack much and frankly, I don't miss it.

So I'm looking forward to the next three weeks and although I may not be rigidly tracking my every mouthful, I feel confident that I can get my weight loss on a better path. If I can have a bit more success, I'll feel even more motivated to keep going when I come back home.

I leave on Sunday. I can't wait. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, but be polite and keep it clean. Remember, you're in MY house now so wipe your feet before you enter.