Sunday, July 29, 2012

Days 45-46: Creeping

So my weight loss is creeping downward but seems like things are going better: another -1.1 this time (and not even my regular weigh-in day until Thursday). I'm not 100% at tracking my food intake but every day I'm tracking something. Drinking a lot more water, which I really seem to need in the hot climate. I think I'm just not snacking mindlessly (even with the added stress I'm under this week -- and by the way there's nothing wrong with me personally, I'm fine, just concerned about someone else I know and love). And the greatly reduced snacking habit is helping me a lot to balance the fact that I don't have total control over the way meals are being prepared, whether at home or in a restaurant.

Today I had a delicious lobster ravioli dish at lunch, which I enjoyed, but it was a bit too salty so I think I'll be paying for that in water weight gain tomorrow. But I skipped the appetizer course so I could eat my main course without getting too full. The French tend to eat their big meal of the day in courses, and if they go all-out (which they do NOT do on a daily basis), they would have an appetizer, the main course, a salad afterward, then cheese followed by a dessert and coffee. We pretty much only do something that extensive on holidays, so when we eat out we limit ourselves to either an appetizer + main course (skipping dessert), OR main course + dessert (skipping the starter) to balance things out. Today, I went for the dessert which was supposed to be 3 scoops of ice cream; I asked to have just ONE.

It's not about being perfect and depriving myself; it's about moderation, balance, and making an informed decision. I'm on vacation so I want to enjoy what I am eating or drinking, without guilt. So far, that's working pretty well because I haven't felt very guilty AT ALL. :)

It's kind of fun weighing myself in kilos instead of pounds because 1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds, so in metric I weigh less than half of what I weigh in American. A silly mental game, but kind of fun. Thank goodness I have a US/metric conversion app on my iPhone so I know what I'm REALLY doing.

Tomorrow will be a mixed bag: swimming in a pool in the morning, so I can get in some low-impact exercise. Then lunch at the beach followed by vegging out all afternoon on a beach chair under an umbrella (with swim breaks here and there to cool off). Then what I hope will be a very light dinner since we'll be lunching at the beach-front restaurant.

And now, back to my siesta...

1 comment:

  1. Creeping downward is GOOD! If it keeps creeping in that direction you will meet your goal without too much deprivation...

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, but be polite and keep it clean. Remember, you're in MY house now so wipe your feet before you enter.