Thursday, July 12, 2012

Days 27-29 & Week 3: In the right direction

This week's weight loss: -1.4 lbs (!)
Total loss to date: -2.8 lbs

Finally, I am feeling like I'm back on track, although I'm not following the plan to the letter most days. That's where I need to do more work: being more consistent in sticking to the program. I don't want to require myself to be rigidly perfect (that doesn't work for me because "perfection" is an impossible standard to maintain, and I set myself up for disappointment if I am then NOT perfect - so I strive to be consistent and moderate in my choices, instead of "perfect"). But I could certainly be more consistent, I will freely admit that.

Today, however, there is something to celebrate even more important that having lost weight: my  wedding anniversary! We have made a reservation at a nice restaurant for this evening, one I have not tried before. I do know they serve fish and seafood as their particular specialty, so my plan is to choose something from that part of the menu, to skip the bread and to have no more than 2 glasses of wine... and no dessert. I think that will be the best strategy, and I feel good that I'm thinking this through in advance of showing up at the restaurant. Food in France can be a minefield for someone like me, trying to lose weight (I have a weakness for foie gras, for example). But eating out doesn't have to be a disaster.

I'll also be doing a bit of pampering today: a full haircut, color and highlights (a bit overdue judging by the look of my roots!) and a pedicure. We're starting our 3-week summer vacation next weekend, so I'd have been doing these things anyway, but what better day to make the effort to look and feel extra-pretty than on one's wedding anniversary?

I wish I could say I still fit into my wedding dress but I think it would be just a bit too tight. However, I'm not THAT far off, and in a few more weeks and minus a few more pounds, one of the milestones I will look forward to is trying it on and having it (a) fit and then (b) become LOOSE over time. It's such a pretty dress -- a spring-green tea-length dress instead of a traditional white wedding gown -- and one of the reasons I chose it was that I wanted a dress I actually COULD wear out to other special occasions from time to time. So although I won't be able to wear it TODAY, I'll be able to wear it AGAIN. :)

5 comments:

  1. I am predicting that next year that lovely dress will be too big, you will take it to the tailor and wear it out to dinner!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so cool! I'm just amazed that you knew where to find a scale while on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was me above.
    Forgot to sign.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm not on vacation yet. :) But actually will have access to a scale on my vacation since we'll be at my sister-in-law's place and she has one (only it's in kilos so I'll need to convert to pounds).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, okay, not yet down south.
    I'm waiting anxiously to see if Georges drops his melon again this year.;-)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, but be polite and keep it clean. Remember, you're in MY house now so wipe your feet before you enter.