Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 6: TMI, and too much fruit?

I can't figure out if the serious gas/bloating I have been having the past 2 days is a result of too much fruit and raw veggies, or just the net effect of the change in diet on my body. The scale (yeah, I know... don't weigh yourself every day) has been sort of stopped in the 222-223 range after that initial 3-lb drop, and I can feel the bloat and the gurgling inside. Last night I apologized in advance to my husband as we went to bed, because I couldn't guarantee what vapors my GI tract might produce in the night. (He's a good sport, that man.)

Two days until weigh-in though, and I'm just doing my best to stay on program, track what I'm eating no matter what it is (and I am really making good choices 95% of the time), and find the right balance so that I get results AND feel good.

It's that last part - feeling good - that hasn't been so easy. I hate to say it but in some ways, when I eat crap mindlessly, I often feel BETTER than I feel the past few days -- in certain ways. Of course, looking at the bigger picture, I can't say I feel better being 90 lbs overweight and for sure I'm no healthier when I'm that fat. I'm just saying that I can't quite yet get the hang of not feeling hungry and empty. Maybe it's just that I need time to adjust. I hope so. I'm aiming to stick right at, or perhaps just 1 point over, my daily point intake of 29 points. So far, because of the activity points, I still have my full range of 49 weekly points unused. I know I can dip into them if I really feel I need them, but doing so will probably slow my weight loss down even further.

And we've already established that I seem to be a slow loser.

I've never stuck to a Weight Watchers plan for more than about 2 months, if my memory is correct. I've done Nutrisystem for 3 or 4 months and gotten some good results, but that packaged food is expensive (Jenny Craig is now in France so I could try that, I suppose... but I think WW is a better fit for the French way of life and being able to adapt a diet to it). So I need to exercise (ha!) a little patience this time, and really stick it out for longer than two months, even if I have ups and downs.

I mean, what other choice do I have? I could go and see a French nutritionist, but she's going to make me count calories and I think that would feel even more restrictive than the WW points system. I'm not heavy enough for gastric bypass, nor would I even consider it -- I had a rough enough time recovering from my gall bladder surgery so I'm not anxious to do anything else right now.

I feel alternately excited about seeing results, and antsy because I haven't yet gotten any real results and what I AM seeing (and feeling - GAS!) is a bit frustrating. I am trying to remember that at least I AM eating a lot healthier and that over time, that's got to count for something.

Visualize, visualize: 222. 221. 220. (First 5 lbs!) 219 (2-teens!) 218. 217. 216. 215. (10!)

And so on. I do know that at around 215 I really do start to feel a lot better. I can move more easily. I get out of breath a lot less when climbing hills or stairs. 215 seems to be the magic number where, over it, I start to really feel like crap, but under it, there is LIFE at the end of the tunnel.

Here's to more of that LIFE, right?

How I did yesterday: Sticking to it, although "bubbly" in the tummy. Maybe even 1 point UNDER what I was supposed to be eating? But I left it alone because maybe I forgot to track some little thing. Also lots of activity points, cleaning our rental apartment.
How I'm doing today (so far): On plan; still "bubbly". 2 hours after lunch and I'm hungry already though. Will try an extra glass of water to see if that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, but be polite and keep it clean. Remember, you're in MY house now so wipe your feet before you enter.