Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 8: Week 1 Weigh-in

Starting Weight: 225
Today's Weight: 222.6
Weight Lost: -2.4 lbs.  (Wished it were more but this is still pretty good.)


So, the Week 1 results are in, and I lost... 2.4 lbs. I am happy about that but not as happy as I would have been with 4 lbs or more. But I am trying to put it in perspective and still committed to NOT giving up on myself.

Since I did a naughty thing and ate all that popcorn and fruit yesterday, and subsequently felt myself blowing up like a balloon last night, I am not terribly surprised that the scale did NOT drop below 222 as I had hoped. In fact, when I first weighed in this morning it showed 223.6! A little later in the morning, before eating (but after a good poo) (Did I really just write "poo"? This is not Hemingway. He'd have written "shit".) I weighed in again and got the 222.6 so I'm going with THAT.

There is is: the Slow Loser Syndrome. You'd think that radically improving my diet this week, both in terms of quality and quantity, would have gotten me at least 4 and preferably 5 or 6 lbs off for this first week (especially given that first week weigh-ins are where you lose the most water weight) but this is not the case for me. This is not the first time on WW where I have had mediocre first-week results while others around me do much better.

Water: DRINK SOME, then DRINK SOME MORE!
While I am not crying over unlost pounds, I can't say I'm not disappointed and a little concerned. I have been reflecting on the past week, on my choices, to see if there are things I could do differently this week. One is drinking just plain WATER; I don't think I am doing enough of that. So one thing I could change this week is to drink a liter of water a day rather than low-cal juice and even rather than Crystal Light decaf tea. I might see a bigger drop next week as a result of flushing out any excess toxins in my body. So I'm going to start with that.

Any "bad" foods I ate during the week? Three cookies overall, and I counted those (well, 2 of them). And they were small cookies. So I don't think it was that; I mean, you have to live in the world, right? I did eat a lot of fruit and maybe it's just too much. I was on track with dairy (no cheese and I switched to non-fat milk and yogurt half-way through the week, too). I think I'm watching my portion sizes well.

Except for the popcorn: I think I had too much of that, and there's a lot of sodium in it. That's another thing drinking more water will fix.

The bottom line is, I did LOSE some weight. And if I stick on this program the way I am committed to doing, I will lose MORE weight. If it is going to be slow, then so be it. I am 51 and on the verge of menopause and whether I like it or not, this is going to be a factor in my weight - both how easily I can put ON weight as well as how quickly I can (or can't) take it OFF. Everyone has the same issue as they age.

So my target for next week is to hit that first 5 lb mark... to take off the other 2.6 lbs (or more) that will get me there. And to drink more water - lots more water! In fact, let me go and get some water to drink RIGHT NOW!

I will never leave the bathroom now, for sure.

6 comments:

  1. okay ...wiping my feet...

    just had a thought..this works for me ..for those times when I have to eat something I stick some gum in my mouth...sugarfree of course..but somehow the chewing and the flavour can get me past the hump...
    keep going..you are being brutally honest by the sound of it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debbie. I know that works for a lot of people and I'm sure you're right about it being a good strategy... but I don't chew gum! (Gave it up when I had braces as a kid and just never got back into the habit after that, something for which I have been eternally grateful.)

    Thanks for being the first commenter though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that when I eat fruit after a meal, as opposed to on an empty stomach - it bloats me. Perhaps there is something to "food combing." Also, it is not really a filling snack (I get hungry soon after), whereas a yogurt, a few nuts, a hard boiled egg (or just the white) or even a small of cube cheese, all protein-laden snacks seem to sustain me longer. Also, as you said earlier in anohter post mixed w/high fiber carb, or whole grain - the two work wonders to keep you feeling satiated.

    My friend who did WW was constantly making her zero calorie soup. It's like a vegi soup which she could sip or have a bowl whenver she felt hungry. I can post/email the recipe if you like, but you may already have it. She was sold on that soup.

    Hope this isn't too long. I love this kind of stuff, and enjoy your new blog. You are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have heard about that soup although I never really did that on past WW attempts. I'll look online, I'm sure the recipe is there somewhere. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. c'est sans doute la fameuse soupe au chou .

    Nghi

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, but be polite and keep it clean. Remember, you're in MY house now so wipe your feet before you enter.