Sunday, June 17, 2012

Days 3 & 4: Good and Plenty?

It's Sunday and the sun is finally shining... plenty of sun for we sun-starved Parisians. Sundays in this normally busy quarter of Paris are quite nice: less traffic, more people out on the terraces of the local cafes and restaurants, soaking up that much needed light (we've really had a crappy late spring, and it has not felt at all like almost-summer).

I feel good about how I've been adapting to the WW program and the choices I've been making. We ate lunch out yesterday at a local restaurant and I chose a huge salad that included some ham and chicken. I skipped the bread; couldn't skip the salad dressing because in France it just isn't "done" to ask for the dressing on the side but I counted the points for it. I did have one glass of rosé but decided I can have one glass once a week, on the weekends. Everything in moderation, right? This isn't about starving or denial; it's about finding a healthier balance. I don't drink often and when I do, I don't drink much, but this way I'm more conscious of the "empty" calories in alcohol and I can choose when to have that (or not).

We checked out a local organic market yesterday, which had great products but SO expensive that I doubt we'll be shopping there often. We did get a nice big piece of fresh salmon for our dinner, and I cooked that (first time cooking salmon) in a tiny bit of olive oil and salt, and served it with a little pasta (with olive oil, just a splash, instead of butter) and steamed peas and broccoli.

My snacks and desserts this week have been limited to fruit and yogurt. 

  This is Raclette: no, I did not eat all that cheesy
goodness. But I really wanted to.
Today we ate lunch out again, at a restaurant that specializes in raclette and fondue (CHEESE!) which I love, but I got a salad that had some ham in it, and then had about 3 oz. of my husband's grilled lean thin steak (he skipped the cheese too, which was nice that it wasn't out in front of me). I had a about a quarter of his baked potato as well (with at tiny bit of this cream/chive sauce, but WAY less than normal). I felt satisfied when I left. An hour later I am STARVING, even though I have since eaten some cherries and a large banana.

I don't know if this is my upcoming period causing the excess hunger (I often feel extra hungry and my blood sugar drops the day before my period) or if I'm not getting enough of the right foods. Am I detoxing from all the breads and processed sugar? Possibly. I have to say that normally, I tend to feel better energy-wise when I eat more breads, even though I know those foods are helping me pack on the pounds. I'm hoping I can cruise through this next day or so without going too far over points (so far I've been right on track, not skipping and not going over other than for +2 yesterday -- but some activity points compensated). Maybe this is just my body adjusting itself to the new routine. I get 30 points a day right now because I'm pretty heavy, but as I lose that number will be reduced. It does seem like a LOT less food than I'm used to. But to lose weight you have to eat less, period.

How I did yesterday: Stuck to it well. One glass of wine ONLY with lunch, too.
How I'm doing today (so far): Sticking to plan but WAY hungrier today. Not sure why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, but be polite and keep it clean. Remember, you're in MY house now so wipe your feet before you enter.